Tuesday 29 March 2011

Mother Mother!

Last night I went to see one of my favourite bands, Mother Mother in Victoria.   I had to wait around after work because, since I'm doing the Candida diet thing, I didn't really want to go out for dinner with my co-worker and have that temptation yelling in my face.  Also, I brought a very excellent salmon and quinoa spinach salad.  So, instead of going out for eats, I opted to eat my salad at the beach with a Yerba Mate tea.  I'm quite picky about my teas, so I really wanted a type of lemon ginger Yerba Mate that I get from a local coffee shop chain.  However, every single one of those stupid coffee shops was closed by 5:30pm!  Who closes at 5:30pm?!  Apparently every cafe here in this sleepy-ass city.  So here I was, driving around getting angrier and angrier, just about ready to run over the next person that jaywalked in front of me, and then I found an open coffee shop!  Hallelujah!   Grumbling and probably pretty sour looking, I bought my tea and then drove to the beach where I sat in my truck (it was too chilly to sit outside), ate my dinner, and calmed down.  

Victoria is a very beautiful place.  I often forget that because I'm usually running errands when I'm there and I rarely take the time to stop and admire the vast expanse of ocean and mountains around me.   While I was sitting and relaxing, I watched people running and walking their dogs, and man, were there ever a lot of runners.  I swear, everyone in James Bay and Cook St. Village (the areas of Victoria that I was sitting in) must have forgotten how to walk and can only run.  Not that I'm complaining, I think it's awesome because I'm a runner as well.  I decided, as I sat there, to most definitely run along the Dallas Road sea wall sometime (maybe many times) soon.  This picture show the grass, the ocean, and then the Olympic Mountains in the US (and also a jogger and my cracked windshield), pretty nice.





Okay, and THEN I got to to see Mother Mother.  Stoked!  They're a local band, I think quite a few of them are from Quadra Island, which is just North of where I am.  They're all fantastic musicians and it's inspiring to watch and listen to them.  The lead singer and guitarist, Ryan Guildemond, has the most amazing on-stage energy.  Wearing suspenders and an extremely puffy front mohawk (a little bit like TinTin), he totally rocks the hot farm boy look.  Plus, he's not too bad looking.  Actually, the whole band is pretty good looking, and very talented.  The bassist, Jeremy Page, busted out a clarinet solo in one song, and a sax solo in another.  I was in the back so it was kind of surprising to hear a clarinet playing all of sudden.  Clarinet from nowhere!



If you've never heard Mother Mother before, I highly suggest taking a listen-loo at a few of their songs.  I quite like "Hayloft" and "O My Heart".  So good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment